[openstack-dev] Fixing the Nova Core Reviewer Frustration [was Re: [Nova] PTL Candidacy]

Tue Apr 7 21:32:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 14:24 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 01:35 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
>
> > If I look at the history, I also see some reviewers dropping out once
> > their concerns and review comments have been addressed (after giving a
> > +1), so the other thing I'd suggest is that instead of erasing the
> > review history on each patch submission, it carries over (at least the
> > -1 and +1) so you don't have to wait a while for a consensus to form
> > (reviewers would, of course, be able to alter their votes at any time).
> > The pressure is thus on the submitter to make the changes to switch
> > every original -1 to a +1.
>
> How would we deal with the scenario where someone leaves a -1 with a comment and
> then never goes back to check if their concerns were dealt with?

Same way we deal with it now: eventually the comment gets ignored.  The
submitter should be very motivated to try to get the original commenter
to reply, but there should be an eventual escalation process to
eventually stop the -1 from mattering.

James