[openstack-dev] [Manila] Question on documentation reviews

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Tue Apr 7 19:36:48 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 12:58 PM, Luis Pabon wrote:
> Hi guys,
>    I have been reviewing https://review.openstack.org/#/c/171166/, but I am concerned that I provided more of a hindrance than assistance. Instead I would like to propose the method used by Swift for document reviews, where reviewers provide a patch to the author as in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/169990 .
>
> What do you think?

Makes sense to me. We should definitely discuss this at the weekly
meeting, but it seems like for certain types of edits it would be
dramatically more efficient.

I can think of 3 possible issues:
1) If we allow this, then authors will have to be careful about pulling
the lateset patchset from gerrit before they make their changes, to
avoid accidentally clobbering changes from other authors.
2) Reviewers would need to talk to the original author before pushing
another patchset in case the original author was working on a second
draft or responding to comments from other reviews -- the reviewer
wouldn't want to clobber the original's author's unsubmitted work.
3) Presumably for small edits, the existing scheme is still more
efficient, so reviewers will have to make a judgement call whether to
leave comments or push a patch.

We'd need guidelines to cover the above 3 situations.

-Ben