[openstack-dev] [Ironic] How to deal with microversions in 3rdparty tools

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Apr 7 17:36:02 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 07:25 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 03:15 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
>> I’m not sure that recommending one or the other is best.
>>
>> We should lay out the options (as you just did) and let folks decide
>> what works best for them. For things like discoverd, where you have
>> many users, perhaps you should allow the user to pass a version (for
>> example, option 2 depends on the user running an Ironic version
>> that has a 1.6 at all — they could be at 1.4). For things like the
>> dashboard my team runs internally, we’ll be passing “latest” to the
>> API (we don’t use the client). We know we can move fast, and our
>> dashboard being broken for a short time following a deploy isn’t
>> the end of the world.
>
> Allowing a user to set microversions looks to me kind of misuse of them. E.g. a
> user setting 1.8 does not mean discoverd will start supporting it actually. And
> I can't get any guarantees about 1.4 as well - I never tested it. So it's really
> about whether to hard code or not.

I'm not familiar with discoverd, but if you consume the nova API messages then I
don't think you can allow arbitrary microversions since new ones can break
backwards compatibility.

Could you cap what the user is allowed to specify as the highest supported
microversion that was supported by discoverd at the time of the discoverd release?

Chris