[openstack-dev] Fixing the Nova Core Reviewer Frustration

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Apr 7 17:35:45 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 01:02 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 11:27 +1000, Michael Still wrote:
>> Additionally, we have consistently asked for non-cores to help cover
>> the review load. It doesn't have to be a core that notices a problem
>> with a patch -- anyone can do that. There are many people who do help
>> out with non-core reviews, and I am thankful for all of them. However,
>> I keep meeting people who complain about review delays, but who don't
>> have a history of reviewing themselves. That's confusing and
>> frustrating to me.
>
> I can understand why you're frustrated, but not why you're surprised:
> the process needs to be different.  Right now the statement is that for
> a patch series to be accepted it has to have a positive review from a
> core plus one other, however the "one other" can be a colleague, so it's
> easy.  The problem, as far as submitters see it, is getting that Core
> Reviewer.  That's why so much frenzy (which contributes to your
> frustration) goes into it.  And why all the complaining which annoys
> you.
>
> To fix the frustration, you need to fix the process:  Make the cores
> more of a second level approver rather than a front line reviewer and I
> predict the frenzy to get a core will go down and so will core
> frustration.  Why not require a +1 from one (or even more than one)
> independent (for some useful value of independent) reviewer before the
> cores will even look at it?  That way the cores know someone already
> thought the patch was good, so they're no longer being pestered to
> review any old thing and the first job of a submitter becomes to find an
> independent reviewer rather than go bother a core.
>
> James

Hi James:

Since this is now an open thread and no longer has anything to do with
Nova PTL candidacy or anyone else's PTL candidacy, I'm going to jump in
here with a recommendation.

Since you are familiar with Gerrit yourself and have a merged patch,
perhaps you can spend some time between now and summit and review as
many Nova (or the project of your choice) patches as you can to learn
what life is like from the reviewers point of view.

If you find it supportive to do so please help yourself to this blog
post I wrote about reviewing an OpenStack patch:
http://anteaya.info/blog/2013/03/21/reviewing-an-openstack-patch/

Thanks James,
Anita.

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/reviewer:%22James+Bottomley+%253Cjejbcan1%2540hansenpartnership.com%253E%22,n,z