[openstack-dev] Multi Region Designate

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at macinnes.ie
Tue Apr 7 12:00:33 UTC 2015

Hey Anik,

So, unlike Nova or other services which really are "region" aware,
Designate, being designed to push data into the global DNS namespace,
doesn't have the same concept of regions.

Typically, you will either have regions which are "close enough" to run
a Galera/Percona cluster across them without adding too much latency, or
you will run asynchronous replication from one region to another using
an Active/Standby failover for the core DB.

The DNS team @ HP has discussed possible improvements to this many times
over the last year or so, but haven't come up with any great solutions
to providing what amounts to a global service is a per-region way. We're
certainly open to suggestions! :)

Thanks,
Kiall