[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [RFC/FFE] Finishing state machine work for Kilo

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 10:13:27 UTC 2015

On 04/06/2015 05:15 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The situation you describe is the same that concerned me with regards to
> stable/juno compatibility. As soon as the client library started passing
> a version header by default, it exposed Kilo changes to all users.
> Anyone testing from trunk would have experienced that when 99ab7777 landed.
>
> I just tagged release 0.5.0 of python-ironicclient which includes that
> change. It therefor passes X-OpenStack-Ironic-API-Version == 1.6 (this
> is your #2 below). 3rd party apps that pin to < 0.5 release of
> python-ironicclient will continue to get juno-esque states. I'll
> announce this in a separate thread shortly.
>
> As far as whether to default newly created nodes to AVAILABLE,
> MANAGEABLE, or ENROLLED - yea, we didn't finish the state machine work
> this cycle - I'd rather not introduce a change to the default state now,
> then change it again in a few months, leading to further confusion.

Yeah, right.

> As far as your #3, you raise a good point. Passing the version header by
> default is a potentially incompatible change with prior versions of the
> client. While the CLI and library API didn't change in an incompatible
> way, they expose the client to new server behavior... perhaps this
> should be our 1.0 release of python-ironicclient? Or perhaps, since it's
> still in the 0.x range, we should wait until we know the state machine
> work is done and *then* tag a 1.0 release of the client?

++ for waiting. If we tag it 1.0 right now, we'll have to make 2.0 in L.
And yeah, each time we pass new version of header, we'll have to
consider whether to bump major version, though I hope we won't introduce
major changes too often :)

But we do have to release 1.0.0 next cycle, it looks a bit weird that
our feature complete client has 0.x version.

> Re: documenting this, besides release notes, emails, and changelogs -
> what would you like to see? I'm happy to put the release notes for the
> client into our developer docs, along with a page on upgrading from juno
> to kilo that we need to write.

Stating the situation in the upgrade docs is the must IMO. While client
is in 0.x range and we're free to break it occasionally, people still
don't expect us to :) I think we also need to put information about the
header and how it affects people in ironicclient docs introduction.