[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] PTL Candidacy

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 09:35:40 UTC 2015

Greetings,

You read it right, you've not burned out yet - I probably will. Here's
a crazy idea, what if I run for 2 PTL positions on the projects I've
been putting my focus on lately? Hopefully, by sending this out now,
I'll be able to answer all your questions in time before the candidacy
period closes.

Before you jump out of your chair, pull your hair off and start
asking: "Is that even possible?" Let me tell you that, as far as I can
tell by reading our governance repo[0], it seems to be entirely
"legal". If you think it is not, please do let me know.

Now, to my candidacy. During the Juno development cycle, I had the
pleasure to be Zaqar's PTL. During this cycle, we managed to kick of
complete - at least in an experimental version - some exciting
features and we've also kicked off others - you can read more about
that here[1]. We did that with a small team of old and new
contributors, if it doesn't seem much to you, I'd love to invite you
to our team and help us out. :D

That said, I think our most important goal during Juno was
incorporating the feedback we got from the community, after our last
incubation attempt, in a way that doesn't compromise the project's
goals but still brings in way more flexibility to the project. This
will allow for the community (Zaqar's and OpenStack's) to finally
adopt the project wherever it might be needed.

Based on the above results and the fact that I believe the community
hasn't seen enough (anything) of Zaqar yet, I'd like to throw my hat
out there to be Zaqar's PTL for another cycle. Here are some things
that I'd like us to do during this cycle:

1. Spread the word and improve our interaction with the overall
community. We've spent lot of time heads down coding new features and
working out the best way to deliver this project. I believe it's time
to throw it out there and let it crash (if you know what I mean).

2. Restore/Improve our community activities by improving our
communications through the openstack mailing list, restoring our
weekly meetings and contributing back to other projects.

3. Keep improving our deployment story/tools. We've a draft of a
puppet manifest that we need to complete, we've devstack support but
we ought to bring it into our code base and extend it with other
features that have been developed.

4. Keep our amazing mentoring story alive by helping new mentees to
integrate with OpenStack, open source and obviously, Zaqar. Something
this team should be proud of is that it's mentored new contributors
since it was created.

The above and more, I'd be honored to do together with the rest of the
team.

Now, to the obvious natural question: How will I be the PTL of 2
projects and get to the end of the  cycle?

Well, this definitely will require some changes from my side and my
current focus that you'll see happen if I have the honor to be elected
for both projects. Will I be burned out at the end of the cycle?
Probably, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for these 2 projects
and more importantly for OpenStack because I truly believe these
projects play (or will play in the case of Zaqar) and important role
in our ecosystem.

In addition to the above, I must say that, thankfully enough, Zaqar is
still not such a time consuming project from a PTL perspective and
it's entirely feasible to be the PTL of these 2 projects and still do
a good job - last famous words.

In all seriousness, I'd be honored to serve for both projects and I
hope you'll join me in this experiment.

[0] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/charter.rst
[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/060446.html

Cheers,