[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat] Overcloud software updates and ResourceGroups

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 22:02:35 UTC 2015

On 02/04/15 20:31, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> I'm not sure how to feel about this... Its clever...

That's... unfortunate ;)

Ideally this would sound like something that is a natural fit for Heat's
data model. The reason it's not is that config management tools like
Puppet are less sophisticated than Heat in terms of their modelling -
they only model the things that you want to change, and there's no way
to reverse a change.

That's not really a criticism of Puppet, it's kind of inevitable that
you can't represent the full complexity of a modern Linux system.
TripleO initially tried to get around this by doing image replacement
only, but it turns out that's too heavyweight to be practical. The real
long-term fix, at least for the application part of a deployment, is
most likely containers. However, we need to wait for the Kolla project
to become mature before we can deploy OpenStack using containers in TripleO.

I started to respond to the rest of your comments, but I decided not to
do so here, because this thread is about what we can/should do right
now, for TripleO, in Kilo, with Heat already in feature freeze.

cheers,
Zane.