[openstack-dev] [Documentation] PTL Candidacy

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Sun Apr 5 21:42:22 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I am announcing my candidacy for Documentation PTL.

I have been contributing to the OpenStack documentation project since 2013, and have been a core contributor since early 2014. During that time I have been supporting and promoting the OpenStack documentation community in the southern hemisphere, through the implementation and running of regular APAC documentation meetings. These are designed to alternate with the US-timed meetings, and provide a forum for people in the Asia-Pacific region to be able to collaborate during a suitable time slot. I have also been actively coordinating Australia-based meet ups and documentation swarms. Some of you might have met me at the Paris Summit, where Anne and I gave a talk about working in an enterprise environment with an upstream[1].

I am employed by Rackspace, and I work from my home in Brisbane, Australia. My job title is officially “Senior Manager, Information Development”, but what that really means is that I look after a team of fantastic writers in Australia and the United States, all of whom are OpenStack ATCs. I have been managing documentation teams in some capacity for nearly five years, and I’ve been a technical writer for a decade, but (like most writers) I’ve been writing all of my life.

Over the past year or so I have been working closely with Anne, seeing the amazing things she has done (and continues to do) with this group. If elected as PTL, I intend to continue that close relationship, and build on what she has already achieved. We need to continue the RST conversion, and move closer to an Every Page is Page One-style delivery mechanism. I also want to keep a focus on information architecture as a whole, and making sure that we’re delivering documentation that our readers can really use. I would also like to work towards a more effective collaboration with our corporate contributors: giving them greater access to documentation that they can use as a base for their own products, and enabling them to more easily give back to our upstream community.

I’d love to have your support for the PTL role, I’m looking forward to being able to better serve this community, and continue to see it grow and flourish.

Thanks,
Lana

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWdD2t43JY

Lana Brindley