[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] bring NIC attributes to OPSK

Moshe Levi moshele at mellanox.com
Sun Apr 5 13:55:21 UTC 2015

Hi,
After talking to several customers, we noticed that there is a solid requirement that choosing a compute node would take into account other attributes as NIC's attributes and capabilities ( speed, RDAM enable,  supported link modes and etc... ).
I was searching around old BP, and  was thinking on several options to implement it:

1.       Nova compute would recognize and report its Nic's capabilities, and Nova's filter or scheduler will take them into consideration.

(There is  a nova  blueprint for link state  awareness https://review.openstack.org/#/c/87978/3/specs/juno/nic-state-aware-scheduling.rst, but here the idea is just NIC's capabilities without the link state.)

2.       New Neutron physical topology service(service plugin)  that will retrieve this information and store it in Neutron either by  L2 Agents or SDN driver, and a Nova filter that will query Neutron [1].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/91275/19/specs/juno/physical-network-topology.rst

Please share your thoughts and feel free to comment.

Best Regard,
Moshe Levi