[openstack-dev] [all][oslo][clients] Let's speed up start of OpenStack libs and clients by optimizing imports with profimp

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Thu Apr 2 21:52:05 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

Recently, I started working on speeding up Rally cli.

What I understand immediately  is that I don't understand why it takes
700-800ms
to just run "rally version" command and it is impossible hard task to find
what takes so much time just by reading the code.

I started playing with patching __import__ and make a simple but powerful
tool
that allows you to trace any imports and get pretty graphs of nested
importing with timings:

https://github.com/boris-42/profimp

So now it's simple to understand what imports take most of time, just by
running:

  profimp "import <lib>" --html

Let's optimize OpenStack libs and clients?

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic