[openstack-dev] The Evolution of core developer to maintainer?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 2 16:02:12 UTC 2015

Maru Newby wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 2015, at 3:26 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>> What we need to do instead is reviving the "drivers" concept (we can
>> rename it "maintainers" if you really like that term), separate from the
>> "core reviewers" concept. One can be a project "driver" and a "core
>> reviewer". And one can be a project "driver" *without* being a "core
>> reviewer". Now *that* allows to recognize all valuable contributions,
>> and to be representative of all the work that makes the project possible.
>
> As Joe and I have said, Nova and Neutron already have drivers teams and
> they fill a different role from what you are suggesting.

The only team I heard you and Joe mention is the one approving specs,
and that one is called nova-specs-core, not nova-drivers:

https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/groups/302,members

The one I'm speaking about always existed in the capacity I'm describing
(project leadership, people actually making sure the project goes
somewhere and all the boring tasks get done), and is defined at:

https://launchpad.net/~nova-drivers

> Can you think of a more
> appropriate name that isn’t already in use for what you are proposing?

I'm not proposing anything new. I'm saying we should just use (or revive
the use of) existing teams (nova-core, nova-drivers) to achieve our
goals of "being representative of all the work that makes the project
possible".

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)