[openstack-dev] [all] Liberty Design Summit planning

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 2 15:35:44 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year again... In less than 7 weeks a lot of us
will meet in Vancouver for 4 days of Design Summit craziness. The space
we'll be in is pretty awesome, I'm sure you will all like it.

Like every design summit, we introduced a number of changes, which I
already mentioned at:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-January/054122.html

The TL;DR is that we'll have scheduled "fishbowl sessions", our
traditional open discussions in a large room to gather as much feedback
as possible on a given topic. But we'll also have scheduled "work
sessions" in smaller rooms, for teams to gather in a quiet environment
to get specific work done. Those replace most of the uses of the
"project pods" we had in previous editions, although we plan to still
have a few roundtables set up as pod space for ad-hoc meetings.

The second change is that the "Ops Summit" is now fully integrated in
the Design Summit, as an "Ops track". They will make use of Fishbowl
sessions and Work sessions as well, and share the same time and space.

The overall layout for the event is the following:

Tuesday: Cross-project track, Ops track fishbowl sessions
Wednesday: Project team tracks, Ops track working sessions
Thursday: Project team tracks
Friday: Contributors meetups

In the mean time, we need to determine what we want to discuss. Each
team is free to select its preferred tooling to achieve that. You can
find links to each team planning tool/etherpad at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Summit/Planning

Beyond suggesting topics, it's interesting to discuss whether that topic
needs to be discussed in a fishbowl room (and announced on the summit
schedule), or needs to be worked on in a quieter setting in a working
session room. That might prove useful to determine more precisely how
much of each session type each team needs, and let us do late
adjustments on the room allocation.

NB: The current plan is to publish the proposed room allocation for all
projects on April 10, once we know which projects we need to include.

Feel free to reach out to me here or on IRC if you have questions over
this process. See you soon in Vancouver !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)