[openstack-dev] [Nova] PTL Candidacy

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 13:38:34 UTC 2015

On 02/04/15 07:20, Michael Still wrote:
> I'd like another term as Nova PTL, if you'll have me.

> I think its a good idea also to examine briefly some statistics about specs:
>
> Juno:
>    approved but not implemented: 40
>    implemented: 49
>
> Kilo:
>    approved but not implemented: 30
>    implemented: 32

Hi, Michael,

It has been my impression over at least the last 2 releases that the
most significant barrier to progress in Nova is the lack of core
reviewer bandwidth. This affects not only feature development, but also
the much less sexy paying down of technical debt. There have been
various attempts to redefine roles and create new processes, but no
attempt that I have seen to address the underlying fundamental issue:
the lack of people who can +2 patches.

There is a discussion currently ongoing on this list, "The Evolution of
core developer to maintainer", which contains a variety of proposals.
However, none of these will gain anything close to a consensus. The
result of this will be that none of them will be implemented. We will be
left by default with the status quo, and the situation will continue not
to improve despite the new processes we will invent instead.

The only way we are going to change the status quo is by fiat. We should
of course make every effort to get as many people on board as possible.
However, when change is required, but nobody can agree precisely which
change, we need positive leadership from the PTL.

Would you like to take a position on how to improve core reviewer
throughput in the next cycle?

Thanks,

Matt
--
Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490