[openstack-dev] Reducing noise of the ML

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Apr 2 10:19:15 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 05:37 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Michael Still wrote:
>> Actually, for some projects the +1 is part of a public voting process
>> and therefore required.
>
> Could that "public voting process" happen somewhere else ? Like at an
> IRC meeting ?

For global teams there is no IRC meeting that lets everyone have a voice.

> Also, did anyone ever vote -1 ?

Yes, there was a Cinder vote that had -1s (for invalid reasons) it was
useful to have that in the open because it straightened out some culture
issues.

Also I failed to gather the requisite 5 +1s the first time I was
proposed for nova-core. While embarrassing, I got over it. I do get that
made a lot of people more heavily straw poll first to avoid those kinds
of situations.

> (FWIW originally we used lazy consensus -- PTL proposes, and approval is
> automatic after a while unless someone *opposes*. Not sure when +1s or
> public voting was added as a requirement).

No idea myself. But it's been here since I started participating in the
project in March 2012.

Requiring a [core] tag for these so people can get rid of them if they
don't care seems fair.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague