[openstack-dev] [Heat] [Ceilometer] [rc1] bug is unresolved due to requirements freeze

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 09:42:28 UTC 2015

> Hi all,
>
> we have a problem with dependencies for the kilo-rc1 release of Heat - see
> bug [1]. Root cause is ceilometerclient was not updated for a long time and
> just got an update recently. We are sure that Heat in Kilo would not work
> with ceilometerclient <=1.0.12 (users would not be able to create Ceilometer
> alarms in their stacks). In the same time, global requirements have
> ceilometerclient >=1.0.12. That works on the gate, but will fail for any
> deployment that happens to use an outdated pypi mirror. I am also afraid
> that if the version of ceilometerclient would be upper-capped to 1.0.12 in
> stable/kilo, Heat in stable/kilo would be completely broken in regards to
> Ceilometer alarms usage.
>
> The patch to global requirements was already proposed [2] but is blocked by
> requirements freeze. Can we somehow apply for an exception and still merge
> it? Are there any other OpenStack projects besides Heat that use
> ceilometerclient's Python API (just asking to assert the testing burden)?
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-ceilometerclient/+bug/1423291

Pavlo - part of the resistance here I suspect may be due to the
fact that I inadvertently broke the SEMVER rules when cutting
the ceilometerclient 1.0.13 release, i.e. it was not sufficiently
backward compatible with 1.0.12 to warrant only a Z-version bump.

Sean - would you be any happier with making a requirements freeze
exception to facilitate Heat if we were to cut a fresh ceiloclient
release that's properly versioned, i.e. 2.0.0?

Cheers,
Eoghan