[openstack-dev] [nova] bug expiration

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 2 09:32:44 UTC 2015

Sean Dague wrote:
> I just spent a chunk of the morning purging out some really old
> Incomplete bugs because about 9 months ago we disabled the auto
> expiration bit in launchpad -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+configure-bugtracker
>
> This is a manually grueling task, which by looking at these bugs, no one
> else is doing. I'd like to turn that bit back on so we can actually get
> attention focused on actionable bugs.
>
> Any objections here?

No objection, just a remark:

One issue with auto-expiration is that it usually results in the
following story:

1. Someone reports bug
2. Triager notices NEW bug, asks reporter for details, sets INCOMPLETE
3. Reporter provides details
4. Triager does not notice reply on bug since they ignore INCOMPLETE
5. Bug expires after n months and disappears forever
6. Reporter is frustrated and won't ever submit issues again

The problem is of course at step 4, not at step 5. Auto-expiration is
very beneficial if your bug triaging routine includes checking Launchpad
for "INCOMPLETE bugs with an answer" regularly. If nobody does this very
boring task, then auto-expiration can be detrimental.

Is anyone in Nova checking for "INCOMPLETE bugs with an answer" ? That's
task 4 in https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugTriage ...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)