[openstack-dev] [tripleo][puppet] Running custom puppet manifests during overcloud post-deployment

Tzu-Mainn Chen tzumainn at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 01:31:21 UTC 2015

Hey all,

I've run into a requirement where it'd be useful if, as an end user, I could inject
a personal ssh key onto all provisioned overcloud nodes.

Obviously this is something that not every user would need or want.  I talked about
some options with Dan Prince on IRC, and (besides suggesting that I bring the
discussion to the mailing list) he proposed some generic solutions - and Dan, please
feel free to correct me if I misunderstood any of your ideas.

The first is to specify a pre-set custom puppet manifest to be run when the Heat
stack is created by adding a post_deployment_customizations.pp puppet manifest to
be run by all roles.  Users would simply override this manifest.

The second solution is essentially the same as the first, except we'd perform
the override at the Heat resource registry level: the user would update the
resource reference to point to a their custom manifest (rather than overriding
the default post-deployment customization manifest).

Do either of these solutions seem acceptable to others?  Would one be preferred?

Thanks,
Tzu-Mainn Chen