[openstack-dev] The Evolution of core developer to maintainer?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 1 20:47:14 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-01 12:00:53 -0700 (-0700), Maru Newby wrote:
> Given how important trust and relationships are to the functioning
> of individual projects, I think we’re past the point where we
> should allow our tooling to be the limiting factor in how we
> structure ourselves.

I'm definitely not suggesting that either, merely pointing out that
if you have an ACL which, for example, defines the set of people
able to push a particular button then it's helpful to have a term
for that set of people. As soon as you start to conflate that
specific permission with other roles and responsibilities then the
term for it gets overloaded. To me a "core reviewer" is just that:
people with accounts in the .*-core Gerrit groups granted the
ability to push a review button indicating that a proposed change is
suitable to merge. Whether or not those same people are also
afforded permissions outside that system is orthogonal.

> Do we need finer-grained permissions in gerrit to enable something
> like subtree maintainers? I don't believe we do. In large projects
> like Neutron, there is no such thing as someone who knows
> everything anymore, so we all need to be aware of our limitations
> and know not to merge things we don't understand without oversight
> from those of our peers that do. Responsibility in this case could
> be subject to social rather than tool-based oversight.

Right, there's nothing stopping you from doing this now. A lot of
our project teams already operate in the way you're describing.
--
Jeremy Stanley