[openstack-dev] The Evolution of core developer to maintainer?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Apr 1 13:33:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 01 2015, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> Responsibilities not tied to specific controls in our tools do exist
> in abundance, but they tend to be more fluid and ad-hoc because in
> most cases there's been no need to wrap authorization/enforcement
> around them. What I worry is happening is that as a community we're
> enshrining the arbitrary constructs which we invented to be able to
> configure our tools sanely. I see this discussion as an attempt to
> recognize those other responsibilities as well, but worry that
> creation of additional unnecessary authorization/enforcement process
> will emerge as a "solution" and drive us further into pointless
> bureaucracy.

+1

We never used so fine grained ACLs in Ceilometer.
If a person knows enough about the project, sounds responsible and is
helping, then I'm giving him/her the rights to help the project. Which
usually includes all the right so that person is not blocked by some ACL
if he/she wants suddenly to give his/her advice on a piece of code or
triage some bugs.

I've never seen big mistakes, and we don't have a lot of unrecoverable
mistakes. In the end I prefer to give forgiveness than permission.

--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker