[openstack-dev] Contributing to docs without Docbook -- YES you can!

Nicholas Chase nchase at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 29 21:06:16 UTC 2014

As you know, we're always looking for ways for people to be able to
contribute to Docs, but we do understand that there's a certain amount
of pain involved in dealing with Docbook.  So to try and make this
process easier, we're going to try an experiment.

What we've put together is a system where you can update a wiki with
links to content in whatever form you've got it -- gist on github, wiki
page, blog post, whatever -- and we have a dedicated resource that will
turn it into actual documentation, in Docbook. If you want to be added
as a co-author on the patch, make sure to provide us the email address
you used to become a Foundation member.

Because we know that the networking documentation needs particular
attention, we're starting there.  We have a Networking Guide, from which
we will ultimately pull information to improve the networking section of
the admin guide.  The preliminary Table of Contents is here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NetworkingGuide/TOC , and the
instructions for contributing are as follows:

 1. Pick an existing topic or create a new topic. For new topics, we're
    primarily interested in deployment scenarios.
 2. Develop content (text and/or diagrams) in a format that supports at
    least basic markup (e.g., titles, paragraphs, lists, etc.).
 3. Provide a link to the content (e.g., gist on github.com, wiki page,
    blog post, etc.) under the associated topic.
 4. Send e-mail to reviewers networking at openstacknow.com.
 5. A writer turns the content into an actual patch, with tracking bug,
    and docs reviewers (and the original author, we would hope) make
    sure it gets reviewed and merged.

Please let us know if you have any questions/comments.  Thanks!

----  Nick
--
Nick Chase
1-650-567-5640