[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:35:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh, I just got off the phone with Monty talking about this :) Comments
> inline...
>
> On 09/22/2014 03:11 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
>>
>> The quality designation is really important for the operator
>> community who are trying to work out what we can give to our end
>> users.
>

> So, I think it's important to point out here that there are three different
> kinds of operators/deployers:
>
>  * Ones who use a distribution of OpenStack (RDO, UCA, MOS, Nebula, Piston,
> etc)
>  * Ones who use Triple-O
>  * Ones who go it alone and install (via source, a mixture of source and
> packages, via config management like Chef or Puppet, etc)

I'm not sure TripleO fits in this list. It is not just a collection of
prescriptive OpenStack bits used to do a deployment. TripleO is
tooling to build OpenStack to deploy OpenStack. You can use whatever
"source" (packages, distribution, released tarballs, straight from
git) you want to build that OpenStack. TripleO could deploy your first
or third bullet item.

> In reality, you are referring to the last group, since operators in the
> first group are saying "we are relying on a distribution to make informed
> choices about what is ready for prime time because we tested these things
> together". Operators in the second group are really only HP right now,
> AFAICT, and Triple-O's "opinion" on the production readiness of the things
> it deploys in the undercloud are roughly equal to "all of the integrated
> release that the TC defines".

FWIW, TripleO offers deploying using distributions, by installing from
packages from the RDO repositories. There's nothing RDO specific about
it though, any packaged OpenStack distribution could be installed with
the TripleO tooling. RDO is just likely the most well tested.

Even when not installing via a distribution, and either directly from
trunk or the integrated release tarballs, I don't know that any
TripleO opinion enters into it. TripleO uses the integrated projects
of OpenStack to deploy an overcloud. In an overcloud, you may see
support for some incubated projects, depending on if there's interest
from the community for that support.

--
-- James Slagle