[openstack-dev] [all] concrete proposal on changing the library testing model with devstack-gate

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 26 19:35:40 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-26 14:27:51 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
> As we've been talking about the test disaggregation the hamster wheels
> in the back of my brain have been churning on the library testing
> problem I think we currently have. Namely, openstack components mostly
> don't rely on released library versions, they rely on git master of
> them. Right now olso and many clients are open masters (their
> stable/juno versions are out), but we've still not cut RCs on servers.
> So we're actually going to have a time rewind event as we start cutting
> stables.
[...]

Agreed, I've brought this up a few times as well. Basically right
now we have jobs which test things with branch tips of dependencies
we also, as a community, develop--but we lack any tests against
release versions. There is the very real risk that we could release
a server which depends on unreleased features in one of its
dependencies. The outstanding feature request against Gerrit to
allow code review of tags could provide an easy place to catch that,
but short of it getting some traction upstream we probably need
actual gate jobs which validate the "releasability" of a project on
each proposed commit.

> Additionally, I'd like us to consider: No more alpha libraries.
> The moment we've bumped global requirements in projects we've
> actually released these libraries to production, as people are
> CDing the servers. We should just be honest about that and just
> give things a real version. Version numbers are cheap.

"Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers." -ESR
--
Jeremy Stanley