[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] MySQL performance and Mongodb backend maturity question

Daniele Venzano daniele.venzano at eurecom.fr
Fri Sep 26 12:49:30 UTC 2014

On 09/25/14 17:55, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Now I use Ceilometer's pipeline to forward events to elasticsearch via
> udp + logstash and do not use Ceilometer's DB or API at all.
> Interesting, this almost sounds like what should be the default
> configuration honestly.

Ceilometer generates a lot of data in a real OpenStack deployment. The
problem is not only managing the I/O load, but also the long term
implications of storing and searching through that amount of data. The
documentation does not cover this last point at all, last time I
checked. Actually it is very difficult to find anything about "what can
I do with ceilometer data?".

I'm storing about one million messages per day generated by a 6-compute
cluster. Assuming each message contains one sample... MySQL is not the
best solution. Think if you need to store them for one year. And as
others have said, it is not a good relational database use-case anyway.

As for Elasticsearch, the setup is straightforward and works well, even
better since you can re-use the same infrastructure for system logs. It
is fast to deploy, reliable on the long run and easily scalable. And you
can start to have a good look at the data while you think ways of using it.

You need to add some simple mappings, otherwise ES will try to be smart
indexing fields (IDs become words separated by '-' and they will no
longer match).

There are also the messages from neutron metering and cinder that have a
non-standard format for date fields that Elasticsearch cannot parse
without help (I opened bugs for those, and use logstash to convert the
fields to ISO format). Hopefully these will be fixed.

The application that uses Ceilometer's data through Elasticsearch has to
speak to OpenStack APIs anyway, to translate the IDs and to make sense
of Neutron metering labels.

Daniele