[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 07:35:17 UTC 2014

On 09/26/2014 03:42 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2014, at 4:01 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>
>> So I guess I'm saying:
>>
>>    Lets decouple 'what is openstack' from 'what we test together on
>> every commit'.
>
> It seems that this discussion has actually illustrated shortcomings in our
> answers to 3 separate questions, and people have been throwing out ideas
> that attempt to solve all 3. Perhaps we need to address each one individually.
>
> The three questions are:
>
> 1. Which projects are “part of openstack”?
> 2. Which projects are released as a single unit?
> 3. Which projects are tested together
>
> The current answers are:
> 1. Three levels incubation, integration, core
> 2. Things that reach the integration level
> 3. Things that reach the integration level.
>
> Some proposed answers:
> 1. Lightweight incubation a la apache
> 2. Monty’s layer1
> 3. Direct dependencies and close collaborators
>
> Discussing the propased answers(in reverse order):
> I think we have rough consensus around 3: that we should move
> towards functional testing for direct dependencies and let the
> projects decide when they want to co-gate. The functional
> co-gating should ideally be based on important use-cases.
>
> 2 is a bit murkier. In the interest of staying true to our roots
> the best we can probably do is to allow projects to opt-out of
> the coordinated release and for thierry to specifically select
> which projects he is willing to coordinate. Any other project
> could co-release with the integrated release but wouldn’t be
> centrally managed by thierry. There is also a decision about
> what the TCs role is in these projects.

Assuming there would be enough volunteers, would it make sense to have a
release manager per layer? And have those release managers working
together on an integrated release? or even have someone in each project
working on the release with the release manager *but* still have an
integrated release?

I'm afraid that not having an integrated release will end up in a whole
mess. When should packages be released? How will stable maintenance
work? When will distros build the packages?

> 1 Has some unanswerd questions, like is there another
> level “graduation” where the tc has some kind of technical
> oversight? What is the criteria for it? etc.

As mentioned in other emails[0], I think we should reduce this levels to
the minimum and work on a guided grow path for projects that will take
them to the point where they'll be considered
production-ready/stable/you-name-it. Moreover, this process should
encourage collaboration (certainly not as much as we've pushed it so
far) over competition but still welcome the later.

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/047114.html

Flavio

--