[openstack-dev] [sahara] PTL Candidacy

Sergey Lukjanov slukjanov at mirantis.com
Thu Sep 25 19:24:42 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

I'd like to announce my intention to continue being PTL of the Data
Processing program (Sahara).

I’m working on Sahara (ex. Savanna) project from scratch, from the
initial proof of concept implementation and till now. I have been the
acting/elected PTL since Sahara was an idea. Additionally, I’m
contributing to other OpenStack projects, especially Infrastructure
for the last two releases where I’m core/root teams member now.

My high-level focus as PTL is to coordinate work of subteams, code
review, release management and general architecture/design tracking.

During the Juno cycle I was especially focused on stability, improving
testing and supporting for the different data processing tools in
addition to the Apache Hadoop. The very huge lists of bugs and
improvements has  been done during the cycle and I’m glad that we’re
ending the Juno with completed list of planned features and new
plugins available to end users including Cloudera and Spark. The great
work was done on keeping backward compatibility together with security
and usability improvements.

For the Kilo I’d like to keep my own focus on the same stuff -
coordination, review, release management and general approach
tracking. As about the overall project focus I’d like to continue
working on stability and tests coverage, distributed architecture,
improved UX for non-expert EDP users, ability to use Sahara out of the
box and etc. Additionally, I’m thinking about adopting an idea of
czars system for Sahara in Kilo release and I’d like to discuss it on
the summit. So, my vision of Kilo is to continue moving forward in
implementing scalable and flexible Data Processing aaS for OpenStack
ecosystem by investing in quality and new features.

A few words about myself: I’m Principle Software Engineer in Mirantis.
I was working a lot with  Big Data projects and technologies (Hadoop,
HDFS, Cassandra, Twitter Storm, etc.) and enterprise-grade solutions
before starting working on Sahara in OpenStack ecosystem. You can see
my commit history [0], review history [1] using the links below.

[0] http://stackalytics.com/?user_id=slukjanov&metric=commits&release=all
[1] http://stackalytics.com/?user_id=slukjanov&metric=marks&release=all

Thanks.

--