[openstack-dev] [all][tripleo] New Project -> Kolla: Deploy and Manage OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Sep 25 16:43:33 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2014-09-25 09:13:26 -0700:
> Why can't you manage baremetal and containers from a single host with nova/neutron? Is this a current missing feature, or has the development teams said they will never implement it?

It's a bug.

But it is also a complexity that isn't really handled well in Nova's
current design. Nova wants to send the workload onto the machine, and
that is it. In this case, you have two workloads, one hosted on the other,
and Nova has no model for that. You end up in a weird situation where one
(baremetal) is host for other (containers) and no real way to separate
the two or identify that dependency.

I think it's worth pursuing in OpenStack, but Steven is solving deployment
of OpenStack today with tools that exist today. I think Kolla may very
well prove that the container approach is too different from Nova's design
and wants to be more separate, at which point our big tent will be in
an interesting position: Do we adopt Kubernetes and put an OpenStack
API on it, or do we re-implement it.