[openstack-dev] [nova] Create an instance with a custom uuid

Pasquale Porreca pasquale.porreca at dektech.com.au
Thu Sep 25 08:18:26 UTC 2014

I will briefly explain our use case. This idea is related to another
project to enable the network boot in OpenStack
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pxe-boot-instance

We want to make use of the extra-dhcp-opt to indicate as tftp server a
specific instance inside our deployed system, so it will provide the
right operating system to the other instances booting from network (once
the feature from the linked blueprint will be implemented).

On the tftp server we want to be able to filter what boot file to
provide to different class of instances and our idea was to identify
each class with 2 hexadecimal of the UUID (while the rest would be
random generated, still "granting" its uniqueness).

Anyway this is a customization for our specific environment and for a
feature that is still in early proposal stage, so we wanted to propose
as a separate feature to allow user custom UUID and manage the
generation out of OpenStack.

--
Pasquale Porreca

DEK Technologies