[openstack-dev] [RelMgt] PTL candidacy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 24 12:56:22 UTC 2014

I am writing to announce my candidacy for OpenStack Release Cycle
Management PTL.

This is a little-known program, so I'll take the bi-yearly opportunity
to explain what this covers:

1. Release Management
This is about coordinating the process that will turn the master
branches of the integrated projects into a common release at the end of
our development cycle. It's no longer a one-person job: Russell Bryant
and Sean Dague, in particular, have stepped up during the Juno cycle to
help me there.

2. Stable Maintenance
This is about maintaining stable branches, reviewing backports according
to our Stable branch policy, and publishing point releases from time to
time. Alan Pevec is our subteam lead there, playing the drum that keeps
us all in sync.

3. Vulnerability Management
This is about handling incoming vulnerability reports and push them
through our patching and advisory process. Tristan de Cacqueray has been
taking on the bulk of the work there.

If I get elected, we have several challenges ahead of us for the Kilo
cycle. In particular, we'll need to adapt our rules and processes to
either support more projects, or follow structural changes (if any).

For example, I think the centralized stable maintenance team does not
scale that well beyond 10 projects, and we may need to refactor it into
team-specific stable maintenance groups. If we adopt Monty's layer #1,
the release management team will have less work to produce the common
release, but will need to educate and build reusable tooling for
everyone else to be able to handle releases. These are interesting times :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)