[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Migrations in feature branch

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Sep 24 04:37:00 UTC 2014

Well the problem with resequencing on a merge is that a code change for
the first migration must be added first and merged into the feature
branch before the merge is done.  Obviously this takes review time
unless someone of authority pushes it through.  We'll run into this same
problem on rebases too if we care about keeping the migration sequenced
correctly after rebases (which we don't have to, only on a merge do we
really need to care).  If we did what Henry suggested in that we only
keep one migration file for the entire feature, we'd still have to do
the same thing.  I'm not sure that buys us much other than keeping the
feature's migration all in one file.

I'd also say that code in master should definitely NOT be dependent on
code in a feature branch, much less a migration.  This was a requirement
of the incubator as well.

So yeah this sounds like a problem but one that really only needs to be
solved at merge time.  There will definitely need to be coordination
with the cores when merge time comes.  Then again, I'd be a bit worried
if there wasn't since a feature branch being merged into master is a
huge deal.  Unless I am missing something I don't see this as a big
problem, but I am highly capable of being blind to many things.

Thanks,
Brandon