[openstack-dev] [Cinder] PTL Candidacy

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:58:39 UTC 2014

Hello all,

My name is Mike Perez, and I would like to be your next PTL for the OpenStack
block storage project Cinder.

I've been involved with the OpenStack community since October 2010. I'm
a senior developer for Datera, which contributes to Linux Bcache and the
Linux-IO SCSI Target (LIO) in the Linux kernel (which some Cinder setups use
underneath for target management). Before that I was for seven years a senior
developer for DreamHost, working on their core products and storage in their
OpenStack public cloud.

Since November 2012 I've been a core developer for Cinder. Besides code
reviews, my main contributions include creating the v2 API, writing the v2 API
reference and spec docs and rewriting the v1 api docs. These are contributions
that I feel were well thought out and complete. This is exactly how I
would like to see the future of Cinder's additional contributions and would
like to lead the team in that direction.

Over the years I've advocated for OpenStack [1][2][3][4] and its community to
bring in more contributors by teaching the basics of Cinder's design, which
then can be applied to a project a potential contributor is interested in.
I also contribute to programs such as the Women Who Code event [5][6] to help
get future OpenStack interns in the Gnome Outreach Program excited to help the
project. I feel, as a leader, helping to build a healthy diverse community is
key.

I would like to continue to help the Cinder team with focusing on what the
bigger picture is. Not letting us get lost in long discussion, but come to
a consensus sooner and start making better progress now. Some of this includes
better organizing of the blueprints and better triaging of bugs so contributors
can use tools more effectively [7]. I would also like to guide folks with their
ideas early on as something that fits with the project or not.

For the Kilo release, a lot of features have a dependency on a state machine.
I agree with the rest of Cinder contributors, this needs to happen now so
that we can can progress forward. I have a summit session with an approach as
discussed in the previous Cinder Mid-cycle meet up [8] to drive this important
change forward. Lastly, rolling upgrades is being picked back up, and I will be
showing interest in reviews and discussion with helping the contributors focus
to bring this wonderful feature forward. These are the only changes I'm
mentioning as I'm sure we'll need bandwidth for other necessary features that
contributors will be bringing in.

I'm looking forward to continuing to grow, and the opportunity to contribute to
this project in new ways.

Thanks,
Mike Perez

[1] - http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Northwest/events/151114422