[openstack-dev] [all] To slide or not to slide? OpenStack Bootstrapping Hour...

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Sep 23 01:12:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:27:40PM -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:

> OK, so we had our inaugural OpenStack Bootstrapping Hour last Friday. Thanks
> to Sean and Dan for putting up with my rambling about unittest and mock
> stuff. And thanks to one of my pugs, Winnie, for, according to Shrews,
> "looking like she was drunk." :)

Just echoing the positive comments since the "show".  I watched the
youtube rather than the live session and it was really good.

The format is pretty much spot on to my mind.

Thanks everyone.

> One thing we're doing today is a bit of a post-mortem around what worked and
> what didn't.
>
> For this first OBH session, I put together some slides [1] that were
> referenced during the hangout session. I'm wondering what folks who watched
> the video [2] thought about using the slides.

> Were the slides useful compared to just providing links to code on the
> etherpad [3]?

I like the slides in the stream, as it helps focus the watcher on key
messages.  That said I also had the luxury/ advantage of watching thr
recorded session so I had the slides locally and could really look at
the refined links from the etherpad.

> Were the slides a hindrance to the flow of the OBH session?

No.

> Would a production of slides be better to do *after* an OBH session, instead
> of before?

No.

1) As I said above they're useful inline ; and
2) Producing them befoer the presenter(s) define what will be discussed
   and how during the hour.

I understand that there is having to do 'slideware' may deter potential
presenters, but I think they're valuable.

Tony.