[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 22 21:27:26 UTC 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Devananda van der Veen <devananda.vdv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>>> The quality designation is really important for the operator community who are trying to work out what we can give to our end users.
>>>
>>> Offering early helps to establish the real-life experience and give good feedback on the designs.  However, the operator then risks leaving their users orphaned if the project does not get a sustainable following or significant disruption if the APIs change.
>>>
>>> The packaging teams are key here as well. When do Ubuntu and Red Hat work out the chain of pre-reqs etc. to produce installable packages, packstack/juju tool support ?
>>>
>>> We do need to have some way to show that an layer #2 package is ready for prime time production and associated criteria (packages available, docs available, >1 company communities, models for HA and scale, …)
>>

>> Right. I’m trying to understand if we are talking about doing that *instead* of our existing incubation/graduation process, or in addition to that process as a new thing. I like the idea of adding a quality designation. I’m not sure replacing our existing process with that designation is a good idea.
>>

> A "production ready" tag wouldn't replace the incubation process
> because incubation isn't about that. Also, the incubation process
> would go away because the TC wouldn't be in the business of adding
> projects to the integrated gate any more.
>
> The content of integrated release would be based on a use-case-based
> scope definition, which is satisfied by the projects in the "Layer #1"
> list. I think it's interesting to think about other use-cases, and
> those could well inform the trademark discussion in the long term, but
> I think we need to start with one use case, and I would like to think
> this is one we can all agree on as central to the mission of
> OpenStack. That doesn't invalidate other use cases. And it doesn't
> make things not in Layer #1 suddenly become not-OpenStack. (A triple
> negative? Yep.)
>
> One of the primary effects of integration, as far as the release
> process is concerned, is being allowed to co-gate with other
> integrated projects, and having those projects accept your changes
> (integrate back with the other project). That shouldn't be a TC

The point of integration is to add the projects to the integrated *release*, not just the gate, because the release is the thing we have said is OpenStack. Integration was about our overall project identity and governance. The testing was a requirement to be accepted, not a goal.

If there is no incubation process, and only a fixed list of projects will be in that new layer 1 group, then do contributors to the other projects have ATC status and vote for the TC? What is the basis for the TC accepting any responsibility for the project, and for the project agreeing to the TC’s leadership?

Based on what you’ve said, I’m afraid that this change makes project governance murkier, and introduces challenges to accomplish some of the unifying cross-project work that we have recently discussed as being so important.