[openstack-dev] [Nova] Some ideas for micro-version implementation

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Mon Sep 22 20:27:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Alex Xu <xuhj at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> Close to Kilo, it is time to think about what's next for nova API. In
> Kilo, we
> will continue develop the important feature micro-version.
>
> In previous v2 on v3 propose, it's include some implementations can be
> used for micro-version.
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/84695/19/specs/juno/v2-on-v3-api.rst)
> But finally, those implementations was considered too complex.
>
> So I'm try to find out more simple implementation and solution for
> micro-version.
>
> I wrote down some ideas as blog post at:
> http://soulxu.github.io/blog/2014/09/12/one-option-for-nova-api/
>
> And for those ideas also already done some POC, you can find out in the
> blog post.
>
> As discussion in the Nova API meeting, we want to bring it up to mail-list
> discussion. Hope we can get more idea and option from all developers.
>
> We will appreciate for any comment and suggestion!
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Did you consider JSON Home[1] for this? For Juno we've got JSON Home
support in Keystone for Identity v3 (Zaqar was using it already). We
weren't planning to use it for microversioning since we weren't planning on
doing microversioning, but I think JSON Home could be used for this purpose.

Using JSON Home, you'd have relationships that include the version, then
the client can check the JSON Home document to see if the server has
support for the relationship the client wants to use.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-json-home-03

- Brant