[openstack-dev] [neutron] [infra] Python 2.6 tests can't possibly be passing in neutron

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 22 19:43:30 UTC 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2014 10:58 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
>> On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 10:32 -0700, Armando M. wrote:
>>> What about:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/test-requirements.txt#L12
>>
>> Pulling in ordereddict doesn't do anything if your code doesn't use it
>> when OrderedDict isn't in collections, which is the case here.  Further,
>> there's no reason that _get_collection_kwargs() needs to use an
>> OrderedDict: it's initialized in an arbitrary order (generator
>> comprehension over a set), then later passed to functions with **, which
>> converts it to a plain old dict.
>>

> So - as an update to this, this is due to RedHat once again choosing to
> backport features from 2.7 into a thing they have labeled 2.6.
>
> We test 2.6 on Centos6 - which means we get RedHat's patched version of
> Python2.6 - which, it turns out, isn't really 2.6 - so while you might
> want to assume that we're testing 2.6 - we're not - we're testing
> 2.6-as-it-appears-in-RHEL.
>
> This brings up a question - in what direction do we care/what's the
> point in the first place?
>
> Some points to ponder:
>
> - 2.6 is end of life - so the fact that this is coming up is silly, we
> should have stopped caring about it in OpenStack 2 years ago at least
> - Maybe we ACTUALLY only care about 2.6-on-RHEL - since that was the
> point of supporting it at all
> - Maybe we ACTUALLY care about 2.6 support across the board, in which
> case we should STOP testing using Centos6 which is not actually 2.6
>
> I vote for just amending our policy right now and killing 2.6 with
> prejudice.

At the summit we said we would drop 2.6 for kilo [1], so dropping support for 2.7 soon is right in line with our proposed schedule.

The etherpad also mentions that we were waiting on some pronouncement from SLES about when they would be moving to 2.7. Do we have that?

On line 33 of [1] we said we would continue to maintain support for 2.6 in the clients for a long as we had stable branches supporting 2.6. Do we want that to be 2.6-on-RHEL or 2.6 from upstream (i.e., we build our own 2.6 package so we can be sure we aren’t bringing in any features that have been backported)?

Doug

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/juno-cross-project-future-of-python