[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 22 18:53:45 UTC 2014

On Sep 19, 2014, at 6:29 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Monty Taylor wrote:
>> I've recently been thinking a lot about Sean's Layers stuff. So I wrote
>> a blog post which Jim Blair and Devananda were kind enough to help me edit.
>>
>> http://inaugust.com/post/108
>
> Hey Monty,
>
> As you can imagine, I read that post with great attention. I generally
> like the concept of a tightly integrated, limited-by-design layer #1
> (I'd personally call it "Ring 0") and a large collection of "OpenStack"
> things gravitating around it. That would at least solve the attraction
> of the integrated release, suppress the need for incubation, foster

I’m not sure I see this change reducing the number of incubated projects unless we no longer incubate and graduate projects at all. Would everything just live on stackforge and have a quality designation instead of an “officialness” designation? Or would we have both? ATC status seems to imply we need some sort of officialness designation, as you mention below.

> [...]
> decide by itself it is "OpenStack".
>
> I don't see your proposal breaking that balanced system, but it changes
> its dynamics a bit. The big tent would contain a lot more members. And
> while the TC would arguably bring a significant share of its attention
> to Ring 0, its voters constituency would mostly consist of developers
> who do not participate in Ring 0 development. I don't really see it as
> changing dramatically the membership of the TC, but it's a consequence
> worth mentioning.
>
> ## Programs
>
> Programs were created relatively recently as a way to describe which
> teams are "in OpenStack" vs. which ones aren't. They directly tie into
> the ATC system: if you contribute to code repositories under a blessed
> program, then you're an ATC, you vote in TC elections and the TC has
> some oversight over your code repositories. Previously, this was granted
> at a code repository level, but that failed to give flexibility for
> teams to organize their code in the most convenient manner for them. So
> we started to bless teams rather than specific code repositories.
>
> Now, that didn't work out so well. Some programs were a 'theme', like
> Infrastructure, or Docs. For those, competing efforts do not really make
> sense: there can only be one, and competition should happen inside those
> efforts rather than outside. Some programs were a 'team', like
> Orchestration/Heat or Deployment/TripleO. And that's where the model
> started to break: some new orchestration things need space, but the
> current Heat team is not really interested in maintaining them. What's
> the point of being under the same program then ? And TripleO is not the
> only way to deploy OpenStack, but its mere existence (and name)
> prevented other flowers to bloom in our community.
>
> You don't talk much about programs in your proposal. In particular, you
> only mention layer 1, "Cloud Native" applications, "User Interface"
> applications, and "Operator" applications. So I'm unsure of where, if
> anywhere, would "Infrastructure" or "Docs" repositories live.
>
> Here is how I see it could work. We could keep 'theme' programs (think
> Infra, Release cycle management, Docs, QA) with their current structure
> (collection of code repositories under a single team/PTL). We would get
> rid of 'team' programs completely, and just have a registry of
> "OpenStack" code repositories (openstack*/*, big tent). Each of those
> could have a specific PTL, or explicitely inherit its PTL from another
> code repository. Under that PTL, they could have separate or same core
> review team, whatever maps reality and how they want to work (so we
> could say that openstack/python-novaclient inherits its PTL from
> openstack/nova and doesn't need a specific one). That would allow us to
> map anything that may come in. Oslo falls a bit in between, could be
> considered a 'theme' program or several repos sharing PTL.

I like the idea of chartered programs as a way to tackling our cross-project issues. We need fewer of programs, but for the ones we do need we still need to integrate them with the rest of our governance.

> ## The release and the development cycle
>
> You touch briefly on the consequences of your model for the "common
> release" and our development cycle. Obviously we would release the ring
> 0 projects in an integrated manner on a time-based schedule.
>
> For the other projects, we have a choice:
>
> - the "ring 0" model (development milestones, coordinated final release)
> - the "Swift" model (release as-needed, coordinated final release)
> - the "Oslo" model (release as-needed, try to have one final one before
> end of cycle)
> - the "Client libraries" model (release as-needed)
>
> If possible, I would like to avoid the "Swift" model, which is the most
> costly from a release management standpoint. All projects following the
> ring 0 model are easy to keep track of, using common freezes etc. So
> it's easy to make sure they will be ready in time for the coordinated
> release. Each project following the Swift model would be a special case,
> and that adds up to a lot of load on the release management team.
> Keeping track of one project doing that is OK. 5 or 20, not so much. So
> I'd advise we only keep ring0, Oslo and client lib models as options.
> Release management would just care about ring 0, and provide tools and
> advice for all the others, but not being responsible for them.
>
> What about the development cycle ? I think it's part of our "identity":
> being "OpenStack" is also about having the same notion of passing time,
> the same reference points. So I think it would probably be a good idea,
> even for projects that purely release "as-needed", to organize their
> development at least vaguely around the notion of a common cycle.

+1 — This is why we do it for Oslo.