[openstack-dev] [QA] PTL Candidacy

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Sep 22 16:32:27 UTC 2014

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for another term as PTL of the QA
program.

The Juno cycle has been very productive with some big developments in the QA
program including: being the first cycle to implement branchless Tempest,
starting tempest-lib, and consolidating the devstack program with the QA
program. This cycle was also unique in that we identified some large scaling
limits with our current integrated gating model. Together with infra we came up
with some substantial changes to try and address these issues.[1]

Just as OpenStack itself has been growing and evolving the QA program has been
undergoing similar changes. I personally feel that scaling with the rest of
OpenStack has been one of the biggest challenges for the QA program. This will
continue to be true in Kilo as well. However, it's definitely something I feel
that we can continue to address and be solved by working together as a community
to come up with new solutions to as these new issues appear. Moving forward
I expect that working towards this will be a top priority for everyone, not just
QA and Infra, but for the QA program specifically I expect that this change in
our gating model will continue to heavily influence the development goals into
Kilo.

For Kilo I also have a couple of other separate priorities, firstly to make the
QA projects more modular and reusable. [2] This is to in order to make consuming
QA program projects easier to use by themselves. Also by making each project
more targeted and externally consumable it should make it easier to build off of
them and use each project for different scenarios both in and outside of the
gate. Tempest-lib was the start of this effort late in Juno, and I expect this
trend will continue into Kilo.

My other larger priority for Kilo is to work on making the QA projects more
accessible. This is something I outlined as a priority for a Juno cycle, [3] and
I think we've made good progress on this so far. But, recent larger discussions
we've had in the OpenStack community have made it clear that there is still a
lot of work left on making it clearer how things work. Whether it be improving
the UX or the documentation around the projects in the QA program or coming up
with better channels to improve cross-project communication this is something I
view as very important for Kilo. Also, by working on this it will hopefully
enable growing the communities and number of contributors for the QA program
projects.

I'm looking forward to helping make Kilo another great cycle, and I hope to have
the opportunity to continue leading the QA program and work towards making a
better OpenStack with the rest of the community.

Thanks,

Matt Treinish

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041057.html
[2] http://blog.kortar.org/?p=4