[openstack-dev] [nova] libvirt boot parameters

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 10:05:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:32:57AM +0200, Angelo Matarazzo wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to add the option rebootTimeout when the instance boots.
> If you use the*qemu-kvm*, boot parameter/|reboot-timeout|/allows  a virtual
> machine to retry booting if no bootable device is found:

What are the scenarios in which this is useful / required ?

> My idea is to add an option to nova boot command changing  (nova API, nova
> base,python-novaclient) but I would like to know what you think about that?

As a general rule we aim to avoid exposing such low level config parameters
via the APIs, since it is not in keeping with the cloud virtualization
model which is to avoid exposing hardware configuration details to the users.
It could be considered as a flavor extra specs parameter or image metadata
property, depending on the use cases for us

Regards,
Daniel