[openstack-dev] Oslo messaging vs zaqar

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 09:56:17 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 11:04 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 08:00 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> oslo messaging is highly tight to AMQP semantics whereas Zaqar is not.
>
> The API for oslo.messaging is actually quite high level and could easily
> be mapped to different messaging technologies.
>
> There is some terminology that comes from older versions of AMQP, e.g.
> the use of 'exchanges' as essentially a namespace, but I don't myself
> believe these tie the API in anyway to the original implementation from
> which the naming arose.
>
> In what way do you see olso.messaging as being tied to AMQP semantics?

I'm pretty sure it can be mapped to different messaging technologies
(there's a zmq driver). I could see myself experimenting on a Zaqar
driver for oslo.messaging in the future.

What I meant is that oslo.messaging is an rpc library and it depends on
few very specific message delivery patterns that are somehow tight/based
on AMQP semantics. Implementing Zaqar's API in oslo.messaging would be
like trying to add an AMQP driver to Zaqar.

Probably "highly tight to AMQP" wasn't the best way to express this,
sorry about that.

Cheers,
Flavio

--