[openstack-dev] Reverting recent refactorings of RBD support for config drives

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Sep 22 09:07:58 UTC 2014

Hi.

Today I encountered bug 1369627 [1] as I trolled the status of release
critical bugs, which appears to be fall out from the decision to
implement adding support for config drives stored in RBD. While I have
no problem with that being at thing we do, I'm concerned by the way it
was implemented -- the image caching code for libvirt was being used
to "cache" the config drive, and then upload it to ceph as a side
effect of the image caching mechanism.

I'd prefer we don't to it that way, and given its introduced as
security bug, I have proposed the following reverts:

 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123070/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123071/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123072/

Now, because I want to move us forward, I've also proposed an
alternate implementation which achieves the same thing without using
the caching code:

 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123073/

The new implementation only supports RBD, but that's mostly because
its the only image storage backend in the libvirt driver where it
makes immediate sense to do this sort of thing. I think this code
could do with a refactor, but I was attempting to produce the minimum
functional implementation given where we are in the release cycle.

Persuant to our revert policy [2], I am asking cores to take a look at
these patches as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Michael

1: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1369627