[openstack-dev] [neutron] Announcing my candidacy for PTL

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Fri Sep 19 20:40:39 UTC 2014

All:

I am writing to announce my candidacy for the OpenStack Networking
(Neutron) PTL role.

I am the current Neutron PTL, having lead the project during the Juno
cycle. As a team, we have accomplished a lot during the Juno cycle. We
have achieved the goals outlined from the TC around nova-network
parity [1]. We have driven new community features such as Distributed
Virtual Router (DVR), L3 HA, and full IPV6 support, among many others.
In addition to new features, I have worked hard to promote openness
and collaboration across other OpenStack projects, and also across all
operators and vendors. Neutron has helped to lead the cross-project
third-party CI testing efforts by virtue of having this requirement
since the Icehouse release. I have made an attempt to clarify existing
Neutron policies [2] by documenting them with the rest of the Neutron
team. By making everything open and transparent, I’ve tried to make
Neutron as friendly and open a project as it can be.

Qualifications
------------------
I have been a core Neutron developer since the beginning of the Havana
cycle, actively working upstream since before that. I have previously
co-led the ML2 team during Havana and Icehouse, and during Juno I’ve
been working closely with the Infra and QA teams around third-party CI
testing for Neutron plugins and drivers. We have been trying to stay
ahead of the curve here, and
working closely with other projects having the same requirements. In
addition, I’ve remained
closely involved with the continuing evolution of the OpenDaylight
project and how it integrates
with OpenStack Neutron. Evolving the state of Open Source SDN
controllers and how they can
remain an integral part of Neutron’s future has been a priority for me
and will continue to be a
priority during the Kilo cycle.

Juno
------
I am proud of what our team accomplished in Juno. During Juno I worked
very closely with the
Neutron core team to ensure we had a solid release which addressed
stability, scalability, nova
network parity and added a sprinkling of new features as well. I was
able to organize and host the
Neutron mid-cycle sprint where we worked as a team to close the
remaining nova-network parity
gaps. I have also started to rotate the Neutron meeting every week
such that we encourage more
global participation. This was a big change as the Neutron meeting
hadn’t changed it’s time since
the start of the project, and it’s been great to see so many new faces
participating each week.

Looking Forward to Kilo
--------------------------------
As Kilo approaches, I hope to lead us as a team into working on many
important enhancements
across both Neutron itself and the development aspects of Neutron. As
you can see from the
etherpad [3] we have created for Kilo Design Summit topics, there is a
long list of things there. As
PTL, I will help to sharpen the focus for Kilo around the items in
this list so we as a community
can come up with a consistent plan of what we hope to accomplish, and
drive as a team towards
achieving our goals.

I also want to continue evolving the way people contribute to Neutron.
There have been many
email threads on this on the openstack-dev mailing list, and
ultimately in Kilo we’ll need to make
some changes around the development process. It’s likely lots of these
changes will be cross
program and affect more than just Neutron, as the mailing list threads
have made obvious. As a
project, evolving how we work is an iterative process which should
lead to incremental gains.

Closing
----------
Neutron has taken huge strides forward in Juno around community
measures such as nova
network parity, stability, and testing. In addition, we’ve added new
features which enhance
Neutron for operators. I hope to be given the chance to continue
leading Neutron forward during
Kilo by enhancing the development process to make it easier for
everyone to contribute, continue
to grow and evolve the core team, and produce a solid Kilo release
which meets all of the
communities goals.

Thank you.
Kyle