[openstack-dev] [Keystone][Oslo] Federation and Policy

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 01:57:30 UTC 2014

On 09/18/2014 05:14 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2014, at 4:34 PM, David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 18/09/2014 21:04, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>>> I don’t know what list_identity_providers does.
>> it lists the IDPs that Keystone trusts to authenticate users
>>
>>> Can you give a little
>>> more detail about why some providers would want to make it not public
>> I am not convinced that many cloud services will want to keep this list
>> secret. Today if you do federated login, the public web page of the
>> service provider typically lists the logos or names of its trusted IDPs
>> (usually Facebook and Google). Also all academic federations publish
>> their full lists of IdPs. But it has been suggested that some commercial
>> cloud providers may not wish to publicise this list and instead require
>> the end users to know which IDP they are going to use for federated
>> login. In which case the list should not be public.
More to the point: there is going to need to be a public list.  It might
not have everything, but it will have a subset, and the user needs to
know what they are before they can authenticate.  This absolutely needs
to be available before the user logs in.

Keystone is kindof a one off here, in that it is the only service that
does not run auth_token middleware (ATM for short) Every other service
that does can choose to split the token unpacking and the autentication
steps:  there is a config option that says whether or not to treat a
missing token as an authentication error.

Keystone  should make use of  ATM, but in an short-circuited way as it
does not need to make remote calls to fetch things from Keystone.  If
the token constriuction pipeline were pulled out of the current paste
API, this would be quite manageble.

I tinkered with pulling /auth and /token out from the /main /admin /v3
pipelines in the past. We need to stop the port 5000 and 35357 silliness
anyway, so this might just be the motivation we need.

One of the problems we have with moving things around is that we are not
RESTful:  most of the clients know A-Priori where the resources are, and
moving them would break things.  However, AUTH_URL is usually separate
from the endpoint returned in the service catalog. We could probably get
away with pulling that into its own suburl without changing the rest of
Keystone.  Then it could be in its own paste pipeline without us having
to rewrite half of Keystone.

Good topic for the upcoming summit.