[openstack-dev] Documentation on writing a neutron plugin/driver

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Sep 18 21:36:39 UTC 2014

On 09/18/2014 05:05 PM, openstack technology wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Is there any documentation on how to write a neutron plugin & drivers
> (including what files need to be changed), I could not find this on
> OpenStack documentation pages. I tried to use the "Hdn" example plugin and
> tried to integrate it as a part of "DevStack" but looks like the "Hdn"
> example plugin is incomplete.
>
> Any help on directions on how to write a neutron plugin & drivers (along
> with instructions on what files need to be changed).
>
> Thank you.
> Daniel

Have you considered getting involved with the current Neutron team when
they meet for their weekly meeting or spend time on irc by learning the
OpenStack contributors workflow and maybe fixing some bugs?

There is a responsibility when offering plugin or driver code which
includes setting up and maintaining your own automated testing system
which is usually a surprise to driver authors and few have planned for
the time and resources this requires.

Learning the OpenStack contributor workflow is expected when standing up
your own third party ci system for testing and those operators who don't
have this experience really have a frustrating time with it. I suggest
you do yourself a big favour and learn how to offer some patches to bugs
to understand the workflow.

Join the freenode #openstack-neutron channel and offer to learn how to
contribute. Also attend the weekly meetings to understand what the
priorities are: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Network/Meetings

Thanks,
Anita.