[openstack-dev] [tripleo][heat][ironic] Heat Ironic resources and "ready state" orchestration

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 09:36:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 02:06:59PM -0700, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I think it's a simplistic use case, and Heat supports a lot more
> >> complexity than is necessary to enroll nodes with Ironic.

> >> Except simply applying power doesn't, in itself, accomplish anything
> >> besides causing the machine to power on. Ironic will only prepare the
> >> PXE boot environment when initiating a _deploy_.
> >

> > From what I gather elsewhere in this thread, the autodiscovery stuff is a
> > proposal for the future, not something that exists in Ironic now, and that
> > may be the source of the confusion.
> >
> > In any case, the etherpad linked at the top of this email was written by
> > someone in the Ironic team and _clearly_ describes PXE booting a "discovery
> > image" in maintenance mode in order to obtain hardware information about the
> > box.
> >

> Huh. I should have looked at that earlier in the discussion. It is
> referring to out-of-tree code whose spec was not approved during Juno.
>
> Apparently, and unfortunately, throughout much of this discussion,
> folks have been referring to potential features Ironic might someday
> have, whereas I have been focused on the features we actually support
> today. That is probably why it seems we are "talking past each other."

FWIW I think a big part of the problem has been that you've been focussing
on the fact that my solution doesn't match your preconceived ideas of how
Ironic should interface with the world, while completely ignoring the
use-case, e.g the actual problem I'm trying to solve.

That is why I'm referring to features Ironic might someday have - because
Ironic currently does not solve my problem, so I'm looking for a workable
way to change that.

When I posted the draft Ironic resources, I did fail to provide detailed
use-case info, so my bad there, but since I've posted the spec I don't
really feel like the discussion has been much more productive - I've tried,
repeatedly, to get you to understand my use-case, and you've tried,
repeatedly, to tell me my implementation is wrong (without providing any
fully-formed alternative, I call this "unqualified your-idea-sucks", a
common and destructive review anti-pattern IMO)

It wasn't until Jay Faulkner's message earlier in this thread that someone
actually proposed a possible (partial) alternative solution to the "ready
state" use case, and that isn't implemented at all in Ironic yet.

Maybe referring to stuff like autodiscovery was a mistake, but I was just
trying to highlight that there are some interesting and potentially
innovative possiblities which could be explored, if we had some Ironic heat
resources.  It sounds like doing the whole autodiscovery thing in bash is
what folks prefer, which is fine, nothing stops them doing that regardless
of anything we do in Heat.

Anyway, lets try to summarize the key points and capture the main
work-items:

1. Not everyone will have an enterprise CMDB, so there should be some way
to input inventory without one (even if it is a text file fed into
ironicclient). The bulk-loading format to do this is TBD.

2. A way to generate that inventory in an automated way is desirable for
some folks, but looks likely to be out-of-scope for Ironic.  Folks are -1
on using heat to drive this process, so we'll probably end up with some
scary shell scripts instead, or maybe a mistral workflow in future.

3. Vendor-specific optimization of nodes for particular roles will be
handled via Ironic drivers, which expose capabilities which can be selected
via nova flavors. (is there a BP for this?)

4. Stuff like RAID configuration will be handled via in-band config
management tools, nobody has offered any solution for using management
interfaces to do this, and drac-raid-mgmt is unlikely to land in Ironic
(where would such an interface be appropriate then?)

5. Nobody has offered any solution for management and convergence of BIOS
and firmware levels (would this be part of the Ironic driver mentioned in
(3), or are we punting the entire problem to in-band provision-time tooling?)

If anyone can help by providing existing BP's related to the above (which I
can follow and/or contribute to) that would be great - I'm happy to drop
the whole Heat resource thing, but only if there's a clear path to solving
the problems in some other/better way.

Thanks,

Steve