[openstack-dev] [Nova] What's holding nova development back?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 18:01:20 UTC 2014

On Sep 15, 2014 8:31 PM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2014 08:07 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>>
>> On 2014-09-15 17:59:10 -0400 (-0400), Jay Pipes wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Sometimes it's pretty hard to determine whether something in the
>>> E-R check page is due to something in the infra scripts, some
>>> transient issue in the upstream CI platform (or part of it), or
>>> actually a bug in one or more of the OpenStack projects.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Sounds like an NP-complete problem, but if you manage to solve it
>> let me know and I'll turn it into the first line of triage for Infra
>> bugs. ;)
>

> LOL, thanks for making me take the last hour reading Wikipedia pages
about computational complexity theory! :P

> No, in all seriousness, I wasn't actually asking anyone to boil the
ocean, mathematically. I think doing a couple things just making the
categorization more obvious (a UI thing, really) and doing some (hopefully
simple?) inspection of some control group of patches that we know do not
introduce any code changes themselves and comparing to another group of
patches that we know *do* introduce code changes to Nova, and then seeing
if there are a set of E-R issues that consistently appear in *both* groups.
That set of E-R issues has a higher likelihood of not being due to Nova,
right?

We use launchpad's affected projects listings on the elastic recheck page
to say what may be causing the bug.  Tagging projects to bugs is a manual
process, but one that works pretty well.

UI: The elastic recheck UI definitely could use some improvements. I am
very poor at writing UIs, so patches welcome!

> OK, so perhaps it's not the most scientific or well-thought out plan, but
hey, it's a spark for thought... ;)