[openstack-dev] [glance][all] Help with interpreting the log level guidelines

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 17:10:21 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 10:16 AM, Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
 > In my point of view it makes life
> much easier if we have information where the request failed

The request did not fail. The HTTP request succeeded and Glance returned
a 404 Not Found. If the caller was expecting an image to be there, but
it wasn't, then it can log the 404 in whatever log level is most
appropriate.

The point is that DEBUG log level is appropriate for the glanceclient
logs, since the glanceclient doesn't know if a 404 is something to be
concerned about or not. To glanceclient, the call succeeded.
Communication with the Glance API server worked, authentication worked,
and the server returned successfully stating that the image does not exist.

-jay