[openstack-dev] [zaqar] Juno Performance Testing (Round 2)

Kurt Griffiths kurt.griffiths at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 16 15:02:35 UTC 2014

Right, graphing those sorts of variables has always been part of our test plan. What I’ve done so far was just some pilot tests, and I realize now that I wasn’t very clear on that point. I wanted to get a rough idea of where the Redis driver sat in case there were any obvious bug fixes that needed to be taken care of before performing more extensive testing. As it turns out, I did find one bug that has since been fixed.

Regarding latency, saying that it "is not important” is an exaggeration; it is definitely important, just not the only thing that is important. I have spoken with a lot of prospective Zaqar users since the inception of the project, and one of the common threads was that latency needed to be reasonable. For the use cases where they see Zaqar delivering a lot of value, requests don't need to be as fast as, say, ZMQ, but they do need something that isn’t horribly slow, either. They also want HTTP, multi-tenant, auth, durability, etc. The goal is to find a reasonable amount of latency given our constraints and also, obviously, be able to deliver all that at scale.

In any case, I’ve continue working through the test plan and will be publishing further test results shortly.

> graph latency versus number of concurrent active tenants

By tenants do you mean in the sense of OpenStack Tenants/Project-ID's or in  the sense of “clients/workers”? For the latter case, the pilot tests I’ve done so far used multiple clients (though not graphed), but in the former case only one “project” was used.