[openstack-dev] [glance][all] Help with interpreting the log level guidelines

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:11:59 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 07:00 PM, Mark Washenberger wrote:
> Hi there logging experts,
>
> We've recently had a little disagreement in the glance team about the
> appropriate log levels for http requests that end up failing due to user
> errors. An example would be a request to get an image that does not
> exist, which results in a 404 Not Found request.
>
> On one hand, this event is an error, so DEBUG or INFO seem a little too
> low.

But it's not an error. I mean, it's an error for the user, but the
software (Glance) has not acted in a way that is either unrecoverable or
requires action.

I think DEBUG is the appropriate level to log this. That said, standard
WSGI logging dictates that there be a single INFO-level log line that
logs the URI request made and the HTTP return code sent, so there should
already be an INFO level log line that would have the 40X return code in it.

Best,
-jay