[openstack-dev] China blocking access to OpenStack git review push

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 15 03:31:41 UTC 2014

> As an alternative to pushing via ssh you can push via https over port
> 443 which may bypass this port blockage. Both latest git review and the
> version of gerrit that we are running support this.
>
> The first step is to generate a gerrit http password, this will be used
> to authenticate against Gerrit. Go to
> https://review.openstack.org/#/settings/http-password and generate a
> password there (note this is independent of your launchpad openid
> password).
>
> Next step is to get some code clone it from eg
> https://git.openstack.org/openstack-dev/sandbox. Now I am sure there is
> a better way to have git-review do this for you with config overrides
> somewhere but we need to add a git remote in that repo called 'gerrit'.
> By default all of our .gitreview files set this up for ssh so we will
> manually add one. `git remote add gerrit
> https://username@review.openstack.org/openstack-dev/sandbox`. Finally
> run `git review -s` to get the needed commit hook and now you are ready
> to push code with `git review` as you normally would. Note when git
> review asks for a password it will want the password we generated in the
> first step.
>
> I am pretty sure this is can be made easier and the manual git remote
> step is not required if you set up some overrides in git(review) config
> files. Maybe the folks that added https support for git review can fill
> us in.
>
> Clark

Thanks, Clark.  The HTTPS way worked for me.  There is one additional
inconvenience, though.  Everytime I do 'git review', I have to input the
password twice, and the password has to be input using a GNOME window
instead from command line (SSH'ed).

Are you aware of 1) a place to save this password so that I don't have
to input it every time? 2) a configuration option that allow me to input
password from remote console?  I'm not considering a X11 forward at the
moment.

Thanks.

Regards,
  - Qiming