[openstack-dev] [Nova] What's holding nova development back?

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Sat Sep 13 22:27:12 UTC 2014

Michael,

I am so glad that you started this topic.
I really like idea of  of taking a pause with features and concentrating on
improvement of current code base.

Even if the >1 k open bugs https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova are vital issue,
there are other things that could be addressed to improve Nova team
throughput.

Like it was said in another thread: "Nova code is current too big and
complex to be understand by one person".
It produces 2 issues:
A) There is hard to find person who can observer full project and make
global architecture decisions including work on cross projects interactions
(So project doesn't have straight direction of development)
B) It's really hard to find cores, and current cores are under too heavy
load (because of project complexity)

I believe that whole current Nova functionality can be implemented in much
simpler manner.
Basically, complexity was added during the process of adding a lot of
features for years, that didn't perfectly fit to architecture of Nova.
And there wasn't much work on refactoring the architecture to cleanup these
features.

So maybe it's proper time to think about "what", "why" and "how" we are
doing.
That will allows us to find simpler solutions for current functionality.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic